The caliper is an item that is widely used today. Thanks to its distinctive features, it helps users to increase productivity, save time. The caliper is a product used to measure the outside diameter, inner diameter, the depth of shaped details accurate cylindrical, hollow, box-shaped cylinder. Currently, this device is widely used to help users work quickly and efficiently. However, many people still have confusion between two kinds of calipers because both types of them have watch faces.
So what’s the difference between a clock caliper and a digital caliper? When using them, what should you keep in mind? Although there are many types of calipers, most of them have the same characteristics. Therefore, in this article, I show you the difference between these two types of calipers and general notes when using them. Let’s find out in this article right now.
Compare the clock caliper and the digital caliper
Calipers have many product lines of different brands depending on the size and function of each type. However, mainly, calipers are still divided into three main types: electronic calipers, clock calipers, and mechanical calipers. Here, the products which people choose to use rather than the digital caliper and the clock caliper because of their unique handy features. So why they are more popular on the market today, let’s find out now.
The working principle of clock calipers is that the inside of the meter’s dial has a mechanical system that makes up the rack and pinion. The measurement results are shown when the internal gear is designed to move the shaft to make the clock hand rotate in 0.01mm or 0.001-inch steps. To be able to read the measurement value, we understand the importance of the main body of the caliper and the second part from the measurement shown on the dial. The advantage of the clock caliper is that it works independently of the battery to operate and is capable of working in wet conditions.
However, the clock caliper still has some disadvantages that need to be improved. For instance, the racks and gears in the clock caliper are quite delicate, so if there is a mechanical error, the adjustment is quite complicated and challenging, this makes it difficult for the calibration process. Besides, it is not easy to read the results on it.
The electronic calipers have a digital screen; the measurement value is displayed right on the screen, so the measurement is more comfortable for the user. Another feature of the digital calipers is the ability to provide measurement systems in both metric and inch units or convert date measurements on the caliper’s screen, which saves time and reduces many troubles when having to change the measurement unit.
So how can the digital caliper display the measurements correctly right on the screen? The answer is hidden below the ruler and screen slider. The bottom of the caliper is engraved with a copper band with a specific design. The digital display board is designed with a control chip. The individual copper wires and circuit boards act as a circuit system. The entire system acts as a capacitor network. The indicators shown on the screen by seeing changes in capacitance, such as moving the ruler along the meter range, are due to the specific design that allows detecting small changes in capacitance to provide measured values for accurate reading results.
General notes when using electronic calipers
Although they have differences in characteristics, such properties, besides that, they still have the rules, the general notes when used the same. Here are the signs to use that you need to remember:
- Do not use a caliper to measure when an object is rotating
- Do not measure rough surfaces
- Do not force the two measuring pins forcefully on the purpose
- It is necessary to restrict the removal of the ruler from the measuring object before reading the measurement value.
- The measuring tape must be placed in the correct position in the box. Do not place the caliper on top of other tools
- Always keep the ruler free of dirt on the caliper, especially the grinding dust, cast iron, and irrigation solution
- Every day, at the end of the shift, clean the caliper with a clean cloth and an open oil
- The caliper should be stored in a dry place, away from moisture, and regularly checked for accurate calibration. It can be cleaned with oil, but only a little because of too much lead to oil buildup that can easily cause dirt.
- Before measuring objects, first of all, you need to press ON to start the ruler
- Press the mm/inch button to select the desired unit system as you wish. Finally, press the ZERO button to set to zero.
- Press ON / OFF to turn off the power when the caliper is not in use, remove the battery from the machine if it is not used for a long time.
- For batteries, if the display is not standard (digits flashing or not even displayed), indicate that the battery is low. So you need to replace it with a new one.
- In case of water entering the battery cover, open the lid immediately and blow into the battery cover at a temperature not exceeding 40 ° C until dry.
A digital caliper is a powerful tool for the job, and each type of caliper has different characteristics and uses. Therefore, you should learn them before using them. In this article, I have shown you some of the differences between the two types of clock calipers and digital calipers. Hopefully, they help you better understand the electronic calipers and know how to store them when you buy the best digital caliper for your job.